Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Little "Miracle", A Big Blessing

Retreat To Be Renewed, Refreshed, Redeemed.

Last weekend, I attended a retreat with my daughter's church, though not with her per se as she and her friend were going together.  Ladies from the Wednesday evening dinner and Bible Study invited me to attend, so I decided to go, just to get away and meet some new people.


One part of the retreat was a Secret Angel activity.  Those who wanted to participate could sign up on a sheet of paper as they checked in and then pick names out of a basket to get the person they would give three little gifts to over the course of the retreat.  You pretty much had to commit to doing the Secret Angel before you left, because we were out in the hills so getting things after arrival was not a good option. I was already psyching myself up a little because I was a tag along.  Beth was really there with her friend, so I was on my own, knowing a few of the ladies from the Wednesday night supper and Bible study I attend there.  I am more naturally an introvert, so jumping into an unknown situation with people I don't know is always a challenge, but where better to practice than among God's people?  So, I decided to suck it up and not worry what someone might think and just go for it.  I went out shopping for little gifts.  I started at Target and found three gift bags with big flowers on sale.  The theme was "Renewed, Refreshed, Redeemed" with a butterfly as the symbol for the weekend, so I bought some butterfly stickers to put on the bags.  From the initial decision, I thought a little candle and candle holder would be a good gift, so I picked up a pretty aquamarine votive cup and matching candle, thinking that the redeemed become a light to the world, so bag three was done right there.
The next thing I saw was a little bin of play-dough.  Something just made me want to get it, certainly not anything logical in my mind, and a bit scary since I was giving whatever I gave to an unknown woman.  My mind started working around the idea that one way to refresh was to just play or color, so the theme of the second bag was set.  I felt it was pretty likely that the play-dough would go in, but gave myself permission to keep it if I chickened out.  Next, the colored pens called to me, so they went in the bag.  Nothing else seemed quite right, so I moved on to Ross to just wander their section of home and office stuff.  I shuffled through aisles of "stuff" thinking of ways to incorporate items into the weekend theme.  Halfheartedly, I put a couple of things in my basket. Then I saw it.  Sitting in the front a a bin of address books, notepads and other paper products was a  journal.  Butterflies flew in a lavender background, and unlike a similar journal in another store this one was a reasonable price. Experience teaches me that writing is renewing, so bag one was complete.  That left me with two done and one that just did not feel complete and nothing more at Ross.
Across the parking lot, the Marshall's beckoned, so once again just perused the store waiting for something to look right.  I put pretty towel with butterflies in the cart but still didn't feel quite satisfied. Then the little artist's box of pencils, pastels, and crayons jumped out and confirmed that the renew bag would be all about being a child again, playing with color.  If I had known sooner it might have included an grown-up coloring book.  I took everything home and began wrap it in tissue and stuff it in the bag.  My insecurities finally forced me to say, oh well, if "she" doesn't like the bag, she can regift or give it away.

On Friday evening after drawing my recipient, I sneaked down the hall with the bag clutched to my chest, hidden by my quilted vest.  The hall was quiet and no sound came from her room, so I dropped off the bag and fled, hoping for the best.  Saturday morning, I went to the meeting room just a little early.  Only one person was sitting at the first table, and it was "my lady" so I decided to sit down, play it cool and get to know her a little.  She was busy recopying her notes from the night before into her new journal.  I got to visit and know her a little bit before the morning session. Later in the afternoon, the second bag was put by her door with a prayer that she would understand the message of the little card from my stamping files.
Sunday morning, at breakfast was the last gift and the big reveal.  When I walked over to her table to give her the bag containing the candles, her eyes sparkled and she said that she loved the play bag.  "I always have to have something in my hands when I watch TV. I will enjoy playing with the play-dough and sharing it with my 20 month old granddaughter.  Coloring is one of my relaxations, and I buy grown-up coloring books regularly.  Thank you; this made me smile."
On Sunday after she opened the final bag, she came again and expressed how much each gift met a specific need in her life.  We found that we shared being stampers who are on hiatus because someone else has our stamps right now.
I do not believe that was coincidence, but God at work in the little miracles He does even through us.  It reminds me to be open and listening, that everything doesn't have to be a big deal. He delights in us and delights to use us to bring joy to each other.
Zephaniah 3:17  

No comments:

Post a Comment